[ga-full] Re: [aso-policy] RE: [aso-comment] IP address holders - are they represented?

David R. Conrad wrote:

> Sorry, I have _no_ interest in getting into yet another education effort on
> the implications of CIDR, address aggregation, provider based addressing, and
> why it is necessary.  I have been involved in and seen all the arguments and
> counter-arguments more times than I want to recall and have neither the time
> nor the interest in wading through it yet again.

The important arguments here aren't about the protocols you mention.
They are about allowing the users of one or a small number of
addresses to participate in the discussions and negotiations over
addressing. The protocols that are used, which can be and are being
modified all the time, will not reflect the needs of small and
middle-size users if they are not a part of the decision-making
process. That much is clear even to me.

> If this is something you are actually interested in (rather than using it as
> yet another rhetorical soapbox to bash ICANN), I suggest you start by reading
> the old IEPG and IETF CIDRD and ALE working group archives.

I have no need to read the protocols. I am not discussing it on that
level. I am saying that the users, the end-users, must be allowed to
participate in the negotiations that will determine the protocols,
which is what the ASO is for.

> The executive summary is: addresses are allocated the way they are because the
> folks who work at RIRs are interested in insuring the Internet continues to
> work.

Continues to work in the way it has been designed, yes. It is the
design that needs to be opened up to the needs of the edge.

> Hopefully, you'll someday learn that demonizing in this way does very little
> to help your credibility.

There is no demonizing in my what I wrote. Itr is a cold statement
of the facts. As to credibility, how much can you have when you
blindly accept the authority of people who represent big business
and who were not chosen by you or anyone you know?