[ga-full] Re: [aso-policy] RE: [aso-comment] IP address holders - are they represented?

Michael,

> I know it's in the interests of IBM, MCI,& AT&T to put small
> companies out of business, but is it in the interests of the RIRs?

Sorry, I have _no_ interest in getting into yet another education effort on
the implications of CIDR, address aggregation, provider based addressing, and
why it is necessary.  I have been involved in and seen all the arguments and
counter-arguments more times than I want to recall and have neither the time
nor the interest in wading through it yet again.

If this is something you are actually interested in (rather than using it as
yet another rhetorical soapbox to bash ICANN), I suggest you start by reading
the old IEPG and IETF CIDRD and ALE working group archives.  You might also
check the APNIC and ARIN archives for the dicussions when they were
established.  You will find much of the discussion repetitive -- as I
indicated, this argument has been repeated _many_ times since people
discovered that 32 bits was not infinite, but hopefully informative.

The executive summary is: addresses are allocated the way they are because the
folks who work at RIRs are interested in insuring the Internet continues to
work.

If you do not believe this statement, go read the stuff I mentioned above.

> I've wasted two years reading what ICANN writes or posts. Not a
> single thing they've said has been put into practice, just the
> opposite. They are professional con artists, whose sole interest is
> to take as much power away from individuals as they can. The users
> have been swept aside, the ISPs have been swept aside, and sooner or
> later you, too, will be swept aside if you don't wise up.

Hopefully, you'll someday learn that demonizing in this way does very little
to help your credibility.

Rgds,
-drc