[ga-full] Re: [aso-policy] RE: [aso-comment] IP address holders - are they represented?

Michael,

> David Schutt's intelligent reply to this just about says it all.

It says something, certainly.

> would only add that the relinquishment of democratic rights in one
> area of communications, even if it were true, is hardly a good
> argument for relinquishing them in all other areas.

IPv4 address allocation is based on technical considerations that relate to
management of a limited (albeit one can argue not currently scarce) resource
and the implications the allocation of that resource has on the Internet
routing system.  The allocation of IPv4 addresses has _NEVER_ been democratic,
it has been and is driven by the physics of the Internet.

> If your argument
> were sound, we might as well abandon the democratic ideal altogether
> and turn over our lives to the dictators.

And the fact that you have no say in the allocation of SS7 endpoint identifers
has obviously resulted in the establishment of the totalitarian state driven
by The Phone Company.

> Is that what you'd like to see?

What I would like to see is continued reliance on technical considerations for
the allocation of IPv4 address space rather than a system that relies on
politics.

Rgds,
-drc