RE: [wg-c] straw vote -- question one results & call for votes on remaining questions

At 02:31 PM 8/30/99 , Mikki Barry wrote:
Your contention was:
>"When one works independently of a thing, implements entirely different
>policies from it, and depends upon gaining support by replacing the direct
>users of that thing, then one is seeking to replace that thing."
>
>That, to me, is precisely called "competition."  That type of competition
>is natural in our system of commerce.

Not as an absolute.

We do not have competitive currencies or armies, for example, and we don't
have competitive sewer systems.

Again, if you have an indication that the Commerce Department is seeking
competition among different DNS roots, please point to it.

>>The IANA DNS root is subject to centralized administration.  That is the
>>nature of a hierarchical data service.
>>
>>What is it you do not understand about the need for authority over
>>administration when there is a centralized service
>
>What I don't understand is the need for a centralized service, especially
>one that is non representative and unduly restrictive.

Centralization is the nature of hierarchical technology.  Short of an
introduction to the relevant information and computer sciences I am at a
loss to know how to explain it to you.

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>