RE: [wg-c] straw vote -- question one results & call for votes on remaining questions

At 02:11 PM 8/30/99 , Mikki Barry wrote:
>I thought that was called "competition" and is exactly one of the most
>loudly stated goals of  the Commerce Dept.

The Commerce Department was not/is not seeking to have competitive domain
name roots, since that would partition Internet access.  (People would not
correctly find each other.)

If you have evidence to the contrary, it would be interesting to see.

>>>Besides, the IANA is much more than the root-zone, as all of us know.
>>>That we don't recognise IANA's authority to restrict the root-zone we
>>
>>If one does not acknowledge the authority of a thing -- actually it was
>>more strong than "not acknowledging", since those operators typically
>>claimed that IANA had no authority -- and one seeks to take on that
>>authority for oneself, then one is seeking to replace that thing.
>
>This just simply doesn't follow.  "Authority" is meaningless here.

The IANA DNS root is subject to centralized administration.  That is the
nature of a hierarchical data service.

What is it you do not understand about the need for authority over
administration when there is a centralized service

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>