RE: [wg-c] straw vote -- question one results & call for votes on remaining questions

>At 02:11 PM 8/30/99 , dcrocker wrote:
>>I thought that was called "competition" and is exactly one of the
>>most loudly stated goals of  the Commerce Dept.
>
>The Commerce Department was not/is not seeking to have competitive
>domain name roots, since that would partition Internet access.
>(People would not correctly find each other.)

Your contention was:
"When one works independently of a thing, implements entirely
different policies from it, and depends upon gaining support by
replacing the direct users of that thing, then one is seeking to
replace that thing."

That, to me, is precisely called "competition."  That type of
competition is natural in our system of commerce.

>The IANA DNS root is subject to centralized administration.  That is
>the nature of a hierarchical data service.
>
>What is it you do not understand about the need for authority over
>administration when there is a centralized service

What I don't understand is the need for a centralized service,
especially one that is non representative and unduly restrictive.