RE: [wg-c] straw vote -- question one results & call for votes on remaining questions

> Behalf Of Dave Crocker: Monday, August 30, 1999 1:44 PM
>
> Thank you for adding substantiation to my assertion:
>
> At 09:54 AM 8/30/99 , Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
> >I guarantee that you won't get a single existing RSC to say
> > that this is so. Every one of us enhances the IANA root, but we do
NOT
> replace it. We
>
> When one works independently of a thing, implements entirely
> different
> policies from it, and depends upon gaining support by
> replacing the direct
> users of that thing, then one is seeking to replace that thing.

That's a crock, D'Crock. When I build a '32 Ford into a Hotrod, am I
trying to replace Ford? I think not. When I add WEB, PER, and others,
into my copy of the IANA legacy root-zone file, root-zone and make it
available to my customers, am I trying t replace IANA? I don't think
so...

> It does not matter what language the alternate-root operators use; it
> matters how they act.

Balderdash! If we weren't trying to work with the system then none of us
would be talking in this WG. We'd all be making like Rod Nixon (TLDNS).

> >Besides, the IANA is much more than the root-zone, as all of us know.
> >That we don't recognise IANA's authority to restrict the root-zone we
>
> If one does not acknowledge the authority of a thing --
> actually it was
> more strong than "not acknowledging", since those operators typically
> claimed that IANA had no authority -- and one seeks to take on that
> authority for oneself, then one is seeking to replace that thing.

FUD, FUD and more FUD. You're talking to one of them and I never said
anything remotely like that. But since you brought it up, IANA does not
have force of law and neither does ICANN. But, in this list, I do not
think that is news, as most of us know it by now. ICANN is a California
non-profit corp. IANA doesn't even have that much standing, as a legal
entity. Ergo, legal authority is absent. We are all volunteers.