From: Abel Wisman [mailto:abel@able-towers.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2002 7:39 PM
To: 'Thomas Roessler'; nc-whois@dnso.org
Subject: RE: [nc-whois] Summary of Comments: Searchability

First of all , thank you Thomas,

Secondly sorry for my absence over the weekend but while installing a
hotel-network and connecting the rooms up I had quite some naty
experiences among which the death of my 5 month old notebook screen,
which makes work almost impossible but adequate work on whois tasks even
worse.

Therefore I have not done what I wanted to do, but I am back and have a
few hours time.

As far as I am concerned, and despite all the hard work we out in to
this until now, (the searchability) I feel very related to the comments
from various angles as listed below and to which we should add the
comments made on the GA-list by (among others) Karl Auerbach.

I am also trying to compile a contsituency report for the GA, which will
include these comments. (in view of the constituency reports asked)

Despite our willingness and the ideas behind the searchability report,
we have not come up with something that can be described as well
fundamented towards all conclusions.

We have not had time to do in-depth research into possible cost, higher
bandwidth usage processor usage of extended queries and what more.
We have not had the time to do more then "explore" the possibilities.

Based upon the RAA and the description therein for delivery of
whois-service we can safely conclude that the orginial rfc 954 was the
base for thinking when this was put in.

Based upon that we could in the intermediate term perhaps do some
research towards more globally cross-registry whois searchability,
without immediately extending the search capabilites.

In other words it would be nice if we could talk to some cc-tld's about
willingness and some tech-people and/or IETF perhaps, about globalizing
the whois standard format.
This should not have to lead to hightened cost for anyone since most
g-tld's already have the obligation and a lot of cc-tld's already have a
similar service in place.

Enhanced searchability is mostly required by "interested" parties, who
in most cases are IP related companies, who in turn make this knowledge
into a product, for which imo they can afford to pay, should the data be
made available for such queries.
It was however never the intention of the rfc to be a private police
force database.

Using the correct legal formalities I am sure Tucows will tell the IP
community how many domains I own and you can then for yourself find out
what I do with them.

It is therefore my opinion that we should only draw concensus
conclusions on this topic where possible and make a separate issue
report for the remainder.

Perhaps we can work on that over the next few days (the issue report)
and "slim" down our current section, due to the workload on other
topics.

Kind regards

Abel