Re[2]: [ga] Re: Jumping Up Every Five Minutes

Bullocks.

The post was clearly a solicitation to get more people into the
alt.roots, something which is clearly outside the scope of the DNSO
and the GA, and was not about anything regarding the merits of those
issues.  It was a solicitation, plain and simple, as was his other
post soliciting domain registrants.

It was only after two spams were posted within 24 hours that anything
was said.

This is not the place for the alt.root community to use as a
PR or promotion forum.  It is inappropriate, and off topic.

I find it amusing that the alt.root community feels they need to
advertise here.

Thursday, Thursday, January 31, 2002, 6:47:03 PM, Patrick Corliss wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:10:44 -0500, Ross Wm. Rader wrote:
> Subject: [ga] Re: Jumping Up Every Five Minutes

>> I was referring to the general problem, not specific manifestations of the
>> problem. This thread itself is an example of the general problem, but I
>> wouldn't hold it up as a specific instance.

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:14:45 -0800, William X Walsh wrote:
> Subject: Re[2]: [ga] Verisign: ".com/net not a necessity" replying to
> anti-trust concerns of WLS

>> Can we keep the alt.root spam to a minimum please?

> Hi Ross

> I am sorry that you missed my very clear point.  Whilst the request "to
> keep alt.root spam to a minimum" appears reasonable on its face, it is
> quite damaging for two reasons:

> (1)    The inference that there is a large quantity of "alt root" spam to be
> minimised, by John Palmer or other Alt Root supporters, is quite false as
> shown in my response to your post.

> (2)    Such a post immediately triggers off a diversionary thread.

> Which makes me suspect the motives of the poster was to bait John Palmer
> or other members of the Alt Root community (of which, as far as I know, Don
> Brown is not a member).

> I try not to respond to messages of this type -- although we all fall into
> error sometimes -- as I realise the potential for diversion.  However,
> somebody, somewhere on the list may well do so.

> Now "baiting" is a tactic that many on this list use, sometimes by chance and
> sometimes by design.  Some people are acknowledged experts.  If I say more I
> will be committing the sin of "baiting", myself.

> Should you find John Palmer's rare postings unsuitable, please add him to
> your filters.  William Walsh can do the same.  However, I would ask that
> we recognise the truth here.

> And that is that some posts are not as reasonable as they might appear.

> Best regards
> Patrick Corliss

Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>
--

"There is no better way to exercise the imagination than the study of
the law. No artist ever interpreted nature as freely as a lawyer