Re: [ga] Re: Jumping Up Every Five Minutes

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:10:44 -0500, Ross Wm. Rader wrote:
Subject: [ga] Re: Jumping Up Every Five Minutes

> I was referring to the general problem, not specific manifestations of the
> problem. This thread itself is an example of the general problem, but I
> wouldn't hold it up as a specific instance.

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:14:45 -0800, William X Walsh wrote:
Subject: Re[2]: [ga] Verisign: ".com/net not a necessity" replying to
anti-trust concerns of WLS

> Can we keep the alt.root spam to a minimum please?

Hi Ross

I am sorry that you missed my very clear point.  Whilst the request "to
keep alt.root spam to a minimum" appears reasonable on its face, it is
quite damaging for two reasons:

(1)    The inference that there is a large quantity of "alt root" spam to be
minimised, by John Palmer or other Alt Root supporters, is quite false as
shown in my response to your post.

(2)    Such a post immediately triggers off a diversionary thread.

Which makes me suspect the motives of the poster was to bait John Palmer
or other members of the Alt Root community (of which, as far as I know, Don
Brown is not a member).

I try not to respond to messages of this type -- although we all fall into
error sometimes -- as I realise the potential for diversion.  However,
somebody, somewhere on the list may well do so.

Now "baiting" is a tactic that many on this list use, sometimes by chance and
sometimes by design.  Some people are acknowledged experts.  If I say more I
will be committing the sin of "baiting", myself.

Should you find John Palmer's rare postings unsuitable, please add him to
your filters.  William Walsh can do the same.  However, I would ask that
we recognise the truth here.

And that is that some posts are not as reasonable as they might appear.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss