Re: [ga] Verisign: ".com/net not a necessity" replying to anti-trust concerns of WLS

WXW and all assembly members,

  Other Root and registry systems that are not "ICANN Accredited" ARE
part of the DNS currently and have been for over 5 years now.  You know
and have known that.  So for anyone or organization to make a statement
that discussion or debate as part of or inclusive of the USG/Legacy
Root structure or Registry's as "Spam" is to deny reality.  Four of the
"Big 8" ISP recognize Inclusive and Competitive registries and root
structures currently.

William X Walsh wrote:

> It doesn't belong on the ICANN DNSO mailing lists, that is why it is
> spam.
>
> This is not the forum for him to be promoting alt.root systems.
>
> Tuesday, Tuesday, January 29, 2002, 6:12:15 PM, Don Brown wrote:
>
> > I don't think this is spam, at all.  I think it is an opinion and, although
> > you and I may not agree with it, he does, never-the-less, have some
> > elementary right to share his thoughts.  This list is suppose to be
> > open and not bigoted - at least I thought so, going in.
>
> > I may even agree with some, or all, of what he said, although I am not
> > stating that is my position, at this time. Please be sure to recognize
> > that I am not writing this in support of what was said, because that
> > is not the purpose of this post. I'm also not saying that I totally
> > disagree with what was said. My position on this matter is not the
> > point.
>
> > The point is that, even if we may loath hearing the message for the
> > upteenth time or we may be diametrically opposed to the view
> > expressed, it is not appropriate to criticize the message just because
> > of its topic or the person posting it. The content, in my view, is
> > what needs to be challenged and discussed - not the person who posts
> > and not the topic.  IOW, I don't think it is appropriate to call it
> > "spam" just because you don't like the subject matter, poster or the
> > content.  Let's challenge the ideas presented -- that's healthy.
>
> > The value of a list, in MHO (George, I am humble, sometimes) is that
> > we have the opportunity to hear different points of view and differing
> > ideas. Sometimes, it opens our eyes to a bigger picture or a different
> > take on the subject matter, sometimes we may think the person posting
> > it is an idiot.  Regardless, the value of people posting their
> > thoughts is what makes a list valuable and a means of helping build
> > the all important consensus.  I wouldn't like to see anything which
> > discourages anyone from expressing their views openly and liberally.
>
> > FWIW.
>
> > p.s. I even like you, William, and I think you do well at cutting
> > through the fat to the core issue, most of the time. I just don't
> > agree with the method, this time.  Humbly and respectfully, that's my
> > take FWIW.
>
> > Tuesday, January 29, 2002, 5:14:45 PM, William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info> wrote:
>
> WXW>> Can we keep the alt.root spam to a minimum please?

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827