Re: [ga] Revised WLS Proposal

Chuck and all assembly members,

  Thank you Chuck for responding to my request here by providing
a .TXT version of this "Revised WLS Proposal".  I hope that
Verisign will consider in putting up an "Open" link in HTML and
.TXT format somewhere readily accessible on their Web site
as well.

  Again Thanks Chuck!  >:)

Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> Here's the revised proposal:
>
> Domain Name
> Wait Listing Service
>
> Revised by VeriSign Global Registry Services
>
> January 28, 2002
>

> Preface to the Revised Version
> This document is a revision to VeriSign Global Registry Services (VGRS)
> Wait Listing Service (WLS) proposal sent to the DNSO Registrars
> Constituency on December 30, 2001.  In this revision VGRS has tried to
> respond as much as possible to feedback received from registrars and
> other interested parties.  To make it easier for registrars and others
> to identify where changes were made, the Word version that accompanies
> the text proposal shows major content changes in italic font.
>
> With the submission of the initial proposal on December 30, VGRS
> suggested that discussion of the proposal first occur with registrars
> because they would be one of the most significantly impacted parties if
> the WLS was implemented.  The plan at the time was to open up the
> discussion to other gTLD registries and other DNSO constituencies after
> time was allowed for discussion between VGRS and registrars.  Our intent
> was not to limit input by others but rather to make the feedback process
> more manageable.  Some good feedback has already been received from
> other constituencies and individuals interested in this issue and it is
> appreciated.
>
> With the changes made in this document, VGRS is again requesting
> feedback from the Registrars Constituency, in particular regarding the
> revisions made in this document.  VGRS is also formally asking for
> feedback from any other DNSO constituencies, the DNSO General Assembly,
> and other interested parties, including other registries.  The purpose
> of the requests for feedback is to assist VGRS in making an informed
> decisionabout whether and how to proceed with its proposal for the WLS.
>
> Procedures for Asking Questions and Providing Feedback
> VGRS recognizes that processes and procedures for fostering discussion
> and obtaining feedback from members of the Internet community are still
> relatively undeveloped in the DNSO and the community at-large.  With
> that in mind, we would like to attempt to add some structure to the WLS
> discussion that we believe will make it easier to answer questions, to
> organize feedback received and to quantify that feedback in a way that
> leads to results that are based on objective analysis rather than
> subjective, unfairly biased or unsubstantiated opinions.  We believe
> that the guidelines below will facilitate these objectives and make the
> process more manageable for all parties.
>
> As a registry business, we are of course concerned that our business
> needs be met and that the concerns of our customers (registrars) be
> heard and addressed as possible.  At the same time, we believe that the
> needs of end-users (registrants and prospective registrants) are of the
> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827