[ga] Re: "political advantage"

Joanna -

>In case you hadn't noticed,
>terrorists do not vote, they throw bombs, and they avoid any form of
democratic process.

Terrorists do vote; they infiltrate democratic institutions and
processes while they are putting their attack together.  The openness
of free universities plays into their hands.  Our German colleagues
have been learning over the weekend about the Islamic fundamentalist
sect that operated at the Technical University of Hamburg-Harburg and
sent three of themselves as suicide hijackers to the U.S.

>To try to turn this
>catastrophic tragedy to political advantage, by citing it as a reason to
>delay the implementation of democratic control over an autocratic entity,
suggests that somebody needs a serious reality check, or is sick, or both.

It's simply incredible that someone sitting across the bay from
Manhattan would have so lost touch with what is happening as to make
an assertion such as this.  Here are three headlines from this
morning's New York Times, which can hardly be classed as a xenophobic
paper:

" Bush Warns of a Wrathful, Shadowy and Inventive War,"

"Lawmakers Hear Ashcroft Outline Antiterror Plans."

" Investigators Explore Boundaries of Everything the Law Allows."

As Americans go back to work, we are not going back to the same
world.  Our civil liberties are not what we casually thought they
were a week ago.  Travelers this morning are having their possessions
searched at airports all over the country down to the last nail file.
In the next few days, the Congress is going to give new powers to law
enforcement to invade our personal lives looking for the very few who
choose to attack us. When I get on the plane next Sunday to go to
Washington, I will know that the new orders to the Air Force are to
shoot it down if hijacked.

In the last great challenge to American freedoms in the 50's and
60's, I gave three years of my career and my marriage to military
service.  Today, I am sad for the losses sustained last week in New
York and all across the country and I am even sadder that another
young generation of Americans is about to suffer loss of life in
defending them again.

So if I sound angry and self-righteous about the all-too-frequent
trash on this list, I am.  This anonymous narcissistic garbage is not
an exercise of freedom, it is an abuse of freedom.

Life at ICANN isn't going to be the same either.  Given the military
mindset and anti-terrorist measures in Washington and other capitals,
there is going to be a much greater stress on operational oversight
of the DNS, on stability and on synchronization with related Internet
security steps. There is going to be much less interest in who is
represented by whom on the Board.

The GA, bastion of rugged individualism, has an opportunity to
contribute to the solutions to these challenges.  But if you're not
interested in being part of common solutions and the compromises
involved in them, and if throwing rocks at me for being the messenger
of the new reality gives you a bigger thrill, go right ahead and lay
a claim to irrelevance.

- Mike