Re: [ga] Re: "political advantage"

Make and all assembly members,

Mike Roberts wrote:

> Joanna -
>
> >In case you hadn't noticed,
> >terrorists do not vote, they throw bombs, and they avoid any form of
> democratic process.
>
> Terrorists do vote;

  I doubt it.  Perhaps.  You must know some that do to be so definitive?
I myself know of none that do.  Nor have I ever heard or known of
any that have.
So, perhaps the NSA or the FBI needs to interview you more closely?

> they infiltrate democratic institutions and
> processes while they are putting their attack together.

Yes, and many of those to whom you refer to are our own country men.
They too are being "Smoked out", as the president said yesterday,
and shall continue to be "Smoked out" and dealt with appropriately.
I for one hope that they are dealt with in the most severe method(s)
warranted and available.

>  The openness
> of free universities plays into their hands.

  Yes, unfortunately this is true.  The price of freedom sometimes comes
high.  I for one, would not trade that price for less freedom.  In times
like these I think of that Scottish Patriot, William Wallace.

>  Our German colleagues
> have been learning over the weekend about the Islamic fundamentalist
> sect that operated at the Technical University of Hamburg-Harburg and
> sent three of themselves as suicide hijackers to the U.S.

  Already old news.  But true.

> >To try to turn this
> >catastrophic tragedy to political advantage, by citing it as a reason to
> >delay the implementation of democratic control over an autocratic entity,
> suggests that somebody needs a serious reality check, or is sick, or both.
>
> It's simply incredible that someone sitting across the bay from
> Manhattan would have so lost touch with what is happening as to make
> an assertion such as this.  Here are three headlines from this
> morning's New York Times, which can hardly be classed as a xenophobic
> paper:
>
> " Bush Warns of a Wrathful, Shadowy and Inventive War,"
>
> "Lawmakers Hear Ashcroft Outline Antiterror Plans."
>
> " Investigators Explore Boundaries of Everything the Law Allows."
>
> As Americans go back to work, we are not going back to the same
> world.that.

  Yes we are.  It is the awareness and attitudes will have changed.

>  Our civil liberties are not what we casually thought they
> were a week ago.  Travelers this morning are having their possessions
> searched at airports all over the country down to the last nail file.

  These searches were once done before in the 70's and early 80's.
They were discontinued prematurely.  They were always a good idea.
They serve to ENHANCE our civil liberties, rather than detract from it.

> In the next few days, the Congress is going to give new powers to law
> enforcement to invade our personal lives looking for the very few who
> choose to attack us. When I get on the plane next Sunday to go to
> Washington, I will know that the new orders to the Air Force are to
> shoot it down if hijacked.

  Yes this is a new possibility.  And if enacted is terribly unfortunate.
However in no reasonable way does it relate to you yammerings
that you characterize as "Populist Notions" should be or are justifiable
be considered mere "Notions"...

> In the last great challenge to American freedoms in the 50's and
> 60's, I gave three years of my career and my marriage to military
> service.

  I gave much more.  Some gave their lives.  Are you bragging or complaining?

>  Today, I am sad for the losses sustained last week in New
> York and all across the country and I am even sadder that another
> young generation of Americans is about to suffer loss of life in
> defending them again.

  Indeed this is a sad thing.  But at the same time I am proud of them,
and I may again be called upon to be one of them.  For that I am grateful.

> So if I sound angry and self-righteous about the all-too-frequent
> trash on this list, I am.  This anonymous narcissistic garbage is not
> an exercise of freedom, it is an abuse of freedom.

  This diatribe of yours is indeed, trash for the most part.  I am
saddened that it appears here.  But I am still proud that you have
the opportunity to spew forth such trash none the less.  That is what
freedom and liberty is really all about.

> Life at ICANN isn't going to be the same either.  Given the military
> mindset and anti-terrorist measures in Washington and other capitals,
> there is going to be a much greater stress on operational oversight
> of the DNS, on stability and on synchronization with related Internet
> security steps. There is going to be much less interest in who is
> represented by whom on the Board.

  Agreed that much more oversight is needed.  Much more security of the
DNS is and has been needed for some time.  I have "Preached" it for
over 3 years now to little of no significant avail to the ICANN BoD
and staff.  I disagree that much less interest on who is represented
by whom on the BoD however.  Never before has this been more
important than sense Sept. 11th...

> The GA, bastion of rugged individualism, has an opportunity to
> contribute to the solutions to these challenges.  But if you're not
> interested in being part of common solutions and the compromises
> involved in them, and if throwing rocks at me for being the messenger
> of the new reality gives you a bigger thrill, go right ahead and lay
> a claim to irrelevance.

  Perhaps you should take your own advice much more seriously on this
score, Mike...????

> - Mike
>
> At 3:44 -0400 9/17/01, Joanna Lane wrote:
> >http://angua.rince.de/icann-europe/2001/09/msg00004.html
> >
> >*    From: Mike Roberts <mmr@darwin.ptvy.ca.us>
> >*    Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 21:23:56 -0700

> >At the time, going on three weeks ago, I had in mind something like
> >US $100 from several thousand individuals who actually were willing
> >to put their money where their mouth was about having a functioning
> >At Large organization.
> >
> >Today, that idea is out the window, along with a lot of other
> >populist notions about any old terrorist around the globe getting to
> >vote on how to run the DNS.
> >
> >When civilization takes a step backward, as it did last week, it
> >usually means a period in which the people with the guns make the
> >decisions.  Anyone watching the American President on tv in recent
> >days knows that's where we're at.  It may be a while before the
> >luxury of debating what constitutes consensus in a terrorist-less
> >society returns.
> >
> >If you were thinking about contributing to an ICANN ALSO, send it to
> >the Red Cross instead.
> >
> >- Mike

> >Hello Mike,
> >
> >Excuse me? Unless I am very much mistaken, the implication here is that
> >there should not now be a functioning ALSO because "any old terrorist" would
> >disguise themselves as an honest, law abiding citizen, then capture the
> >bottom-up consensus building mechanism. In case you hadn't noticed,
> >terrorists do not vote, they throw bombs, and they avoid any form of
> >democratic process. The implication that there should not now be a
> >functioning ALSO until the USA rids the world of terrorism is equally
> >laughable. Terrorism is nothing new, and however many guns are thrown at it,
> >it will always exist in one insidious form or another. To try to turn this
> >catastrophic tragedy to political advantage, by citing it as a reason to
> >delay the implementation of democratic control over an autocratic entity,
> >suggests that somebody needs a serious reality check, or is sick, or both.
> >

> >Regards,
> >
> >Joanna
> >
> >P.S. We don't need to debate what constitutes consensus. There is a
> >mechanism in place already.
> >
> >The URLs for Best Practices: DNSO Citation:
> >http://www.dnso.org/dnso/gaindex.html
> >(Under "Other Information Documents"; "August 2001:
> >Proposal for Best Practices for the DNSO GA")
> >Part I:
> >http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BestPractices.html
> >Part II:
> >http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BP-flowchart.pdf
> >(Access to the .pdf file requires installing the Adobe Acrobat
> >Reader, which is available for free down load at
> >http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.)
> >

> >--
> >This message was passed to you via the ga@dnso.org list.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827