Re: [ga] Consumer/Registrant Protection Consitituency

I've seen you and Jefsey and Steven Heath (I think) and
others wrestling over the name of the constituency, and
again I see the alphabet soup a'cookin' on the stove.  Why
not KISS and just call it "Registrants?"  That avoids the
"consumers" problem, the question of whether a registrant
is an owner or a holder, and a lot of others, methinks. :-)

(I'd even leave off  "Domain Name" -- we're not involved
with motor vehicles or anything else registrable in this DNSO.)

Bill

Joop Teernstra wrote:

> At 12:06 29/07/2001 +0800, erica wrote:
>
> >NAME:
> >If there is general agreement that we need a constituency whose job is to
> >ensure that the interests of consumers of domain names (Registrants)
> >interests are protected, then its a good idea to ensure that's reflected in
> >the name:  ie. Lets call the proposed new constituency the
> >Consumer/Registrants Protection Constituency (C/RPC)
>
> Dear Erica,
> Whilst I agree with some of your observations, I I have a problem  seeing
> Domain Name Registrants as consumers.
> An Individual Registrant  does not register a Domain Name to consume it.
> One registers it to own it (or to hold it, if you wish), and to build it up
> as an asset or an Internet presence.
> Or perhaps to otherwise exercise rights normally associated with the
> ownership of an asset.
>
> There is much more involved than simply protecting consumers against being
> ripped-off.
> ICANN is being set up as the wielder of power over Internet presence or
> non-presence.
>
> In order to make the constituency really representative in ICANN , one
> wants a constituency of the Holders/Owners themselves, as Individual Human
> beings (who as content providers have concerns way beyond those of mere
> consumers), not  as a constituency of "protectors" or organizations that
> purport to protect.
> These, if truly non-commercial, should be represented in the NCDNHC.
>
> For the IDNH, the challenge is the construction of membership driven
> institutions, that can truly scale.

Any terms above that are not familiar to the reader may
possibly be explained at:
"WHAT IS": http://whatis.techtarget.com/
GLOSSARY: http://www.icann.org/general/glossary.htm
Archives of posted emails on various General Assembly