Re: [ga] Consumer/Registrant Protection Consitituency

At 12:06 29/07/2001 +0800, erica wrote:

>NAME:
>If there is general agreement that we need a constituency whose job is to
>ensure that the interests of consumers of domain names (Registrants)
>interests are protected, then its a good idea to ensure that's reflected in
>the name:  ie. Lets call the proposed new constituency the
>Consumer/Registrants Protection Constituency (C/RPC)

Dear Erica,
Whilst I agree with some of your observations, I I have a problem  seeing
Domain Name Registrants as consumers.
An Individual Registrant  does not register a Domain Name to consume it.
One registers it to own it (or to hold it, if you wish), and to build it up
as an asset or an Internet presence.
Or perhaps to otherwise exercise rights normally associated with the
ownership of an asset.

There is much more involved than simply protecting consumers against being
ripped-off.
ICANN is being set up as the wielder of power over Internet presence or
non-presence.

In order to make the constituency really representative in ICANN , one
wants a constituency of the Holders/Owners themselves, as Individual Human
beings (who as content providers have concerns way beyond those of mere
consumers), not  as a constituency of "protectors" or organizations that
purport to protect.
These, if truly non-commercial, should be represented in the NCDNHC.

For the IDNH, the challenge is the construction of membership driven
institutions, that can truly scale.