[ga] Consumer/Registrant Protection Consitituency

Hi Sotiris,
First Draft of "Letter from Registrars Constituency to Stuart Lynn"

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see the purpose of defining a
domain name in this context and would be concerned that any definitation may
in the future, serve to unreasonably limit the scope of the proposed
constituency.
As I see it, if a new constituency is to be created, then the following key
threshold issues need to be determined: NAME; PURPOSE, MEMBERSHIP;  FUNDING

NAME:
If there is general agreement that we need a constituency whose job is to
ensure that the interests of consumers of domain names (Registrants)
interests are protected, then its a good idea to ensure that's reflected in
the name:  ie. Lets call the proposed new constituency the
Consumer/Registrants Protection Constituency (C/RPC)

PURPOSE

It is a good idea to set out the Broad objectives of the proposed
constituency in its founding documentation.  I'd suggest something along the
following lines:
1.  To provide a forum for the identification and discussion of key consumer
concerns relating to the administration of the Domain Name System and supply
of domain names;
2.  To represent the interests of Registrants (and potential registrants?)on
ICANN fora;
3.  To work with other DNSO constituencies and ICANN staff to promote the
development of consensus based consumer protection policies and procedures.

MEMBERSHIP
This should clarify who is eligible to become a member and should be linked
with  the issue of membership fees.  Key questions include: Should there be
several classes of membership or just one?  Possible membership classes
include:
1.  Any individual (membership fee?)
2. Individual Registrants (domain name owners) - (membership fee?)
3.  Consumer protection organisations  (memership fee?)

FUNDING

As I see it, there are essentially two potential funding sources -
membership fees and sponsorship.  Sponsor support usually takes a little
time to establish, so I'd suggest that membership fees should be set at a
level to provide the primary source of funding (without at the same time
being prohibitive to individuals).  However, if the fee were set at, say,
$US10, 1000 members would be needed to ensure an income of $10,000.  Since
it is unlikely that the constituency would get this level of support from
the outset, it may be necessary to think a bit more laterally.
One possibility which could be considered, would be to seek the support of
ISOC for the creation of such a constituency.  Their theme is "The Internet
is for Everyone' and it may be that they could be pursuaded to provide the
organisational support necessary during the constituency start up period -
and maybe publicise it to their membership list.

//food for thought.

erica

Subject: Re: [ga] First Draft of "Letter from Registrars Constituency to
Stuart Lynn"