Re: [wg-c] domain leasing

At 05:51 AM 8/19/99 , Joop Teernstra wrote:
>At 07:55 PM 18/08/1999 -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:
> >>The Ownership model, supported by the courts, is good for all who invest in
> >It would be helpful for you to supply citations that demonstrate legal
> >substance to the claim that those who get gTLDs "own" them.  What "support
> >by the courts" has there been?
>
>Sorry Dave, but, like William, I *agree* with you on the gTLD's.
>
>Just not on the SLD's.

Instead of focusing on whether we agree/disagree, let's consider the
details of the facts, issues, etc. that are the basis.

In other words:  I put forward details describing then activity that is
currently present, namely the repercussions of not paying the yearly fee
associated with a gTLD.

Do you disagree that failure to pay the annual fee leads to a) the loss of
use of the domain name, and b) availability of the domain name to others?

If you disagree, please explain, since I believe it represents a simple,
accurate and precise description of the current arrangement.

If you agree, then we are consonant about the behaviors and are having a
disagreement about labeling.  So what is the basis for calling such an
insecure relationship to the name "ownership"?

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>