Re: [wg-c] domain leasing

At 01:34 PM 18/08/1999 -0700, William X. Walsh wrote:

>> That's how NSI got its current task, after SRI had managed com/net/org for
>> EIGHT YEARS.
>
>> Doesn't sound much like an "ownership" model, does it?
>
>> So let's see substantive counters to these established facts.
>

>No need to.  I'll agree with you completely.  In the case of TLDs,
>their will be a contract managing the relationship between ICANN and
>the registries, that will spell out the conditions under which they
>operate, and should those conditions be violated, ICANN has the
>authority (and methods) of pulling their authority to operate and
>assigning it to someone else.

Yes, but William overlooked that Dave also included SLD's .

SLD's are owned by the registrants.

To state that Microsoft.com would be ever available "for lease" to anyone
but Microsoft is really pushing your credibility, Dave.

Current jurisprudence is treating SLD's as property, that can be liquidated
to satisfy creditors.

The "SLD's for lease" idea is only good for the registries.

The Ownership model, supported by the courts, is good for all who invest in
an on-line presence and also for those registries that do not wish to be
saddled with responsibility for content.

--Joop Teernstra LL.M.--  , bootstrap  of
the Cyberspace Association,
the constituency for Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org