Re: [wg-c] domain leasing

Wednesday, August 18, 1999, 8:35:40 AM, Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com> wrote:

> At 07:22 AM 8/18/99 , Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
>>There are two sorts of model that fit current DNS practice; One states
>>that we own our names and pay a registry (NSI) to publish them under a
>>TLD. For this we pay a regular fee. The other states that we do not own
>>our own names and rent them from the TLD registry. If you can think of a
>>third, that fits current practice, I'd be real interested.

> Registry authority has been re-assigned repeatedly.

> So, there is a long established pattern of practise that those in charge of
> a domain (whether it is a TLD or an SLD, or one lower in the hierarchy) can
> have their authority taken away through strictly administrative procedures.

> That doesn't sound like an ownership model, does it?

> And the last I heard, legal systems pay a lot of attention to established
> practise.

> If Microsoft fails to pay its yearly fee for microsoft.com, they will lose
> use of he name.  That sounds like a leasing model, doesn't it?

> When Microsoft let's its lease lapse, the name is automatically available
> for lease to someone else.  Such re-assignments happen all the time.

> Sounds like a leasing model, doesn't it?

> With respect to TLDs, there is a long history of having the DNS authority
> decide to assign TLD registry authority to a different agency.

> That's how NSI got its current task, after SRI had managed com/net/org for
> EIGHT YEARS.

> Doesn't sound much like an "ownership" model, does it?

> So let's see substantive counters to these established facts.

No need to.  I'll agree with you completely.  In the case of TLDs,
their will be a contract managing the relationship between ICANN and
the registries, that will spell out the conditions under which they
operate, and should those conditions be violated, ICANN has the
authority (and methods) of pulling their authority to operate and
assigning it to someone else.

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Internet Services
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934

(IDNO MEMBER)
Support the Cyberspace Association, the
constituency of Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org