Re: [Fwd: [wg-c] straw poll -- reminder]

>On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 05:16:15PM -0400, pg@name-space.com wrote:
>>
>> Many people have made statements similar to the following:
>>
>> "I would chose Option 1, as this seems to be an *operationally safer* way to
>> start."
>>
>> (emphasis added)
>>
>> Many, if not most of the people who make this statement are doing so
>> because they don't know the facts first-hand, not because they have the
>> day to day experience of operating a DNS service or otherwise have
>> the experience and operational knowledge needed to make such
>> determinations based on knowledge.

>Kent Crispin wrote:

>I suggest that many, if not most, of the people making this
>statement make it because they have a broader definition of
>"operational" than you are using.  Indeed, I agree that adding a
>name to a zone file poses no technical difficulty.  However, there
>are *many* other operational issues involved with adding a real gTLD
>-- not the least of which is the operation of an online dispute
>resolution policy.
>
>[...]
>>
>> In a given day, there are somewhere between 3 to 8 MILLION second-
>> level domains (SLDs) added to the TLD zone for "COM."
>
>Eh?  There are only something over 4 million names, TOTAL, in .com.
>NSI just celebrated passing the 5 million mark for .com, .net, and
>.org registrations combined a couple of months ago.

I apologize for the accidental substitution of MILLION for THOUSAND.

The correct statement is that there are somewhere between
3 to 8 THOUSAND new second-level domains added to the TLD
zone for "COM." on a daily basis.

Paul Garrin
Founder/CEO
Name.Space, Inc.