Re: [wg-c] straw vote -- question one results & call for votes on remaining questions

Jonathan,

>         The WG is split.  Exactly half of the voters (22 people) expressed
> support for Option One, some with reservations or additional requirements.
> Thirteen voters expressed support for Option Two.  Seven voters sent
> messages that I have, for purposes of quick summary, lumped together as
> "neither / both / in between / other", and two voters urged that the focus
> on new gTLDs is misplaced since .us remains undeveloped.

The problem is not in the result of the vote, it is in the way you asked
the question. Amongst the 22 people who did not vote for option 1, there
are many who can live with it as second-best. The reason is that starting
with few gTLDs does not exclude adding more gTLDs later.

Let me give you a real-life example of a better way to ask questions:
As you may know, the Swiss vote in plebiscites every three or four months.
They are often presented two options to accept or reject. In order to
avoid splitting the vote of people who can accept both proposals, a third
question (called "subsidiary question") is asked on which option the
voter prefers if both are accepted.

I therefore suggest that in your second call for vote you add a subsidiary
question on question One. As question One was asked in an exclusive fashion,
you might word it as follows:

 Subsidiary Questions to Question One
  ICANN may consider any plan to initially launch few TLDs
  instead of launching many at once
  [ ] Yes   [ ] No

  ICANN may consider any plan to initially launch many TLDs
  instead of launching only a few to start with
  [ ] Yes   [ ] No

Regards

Werner

--
Tel: +41 22 312 5600  Direct line: +41 22 312 5640  http://axone.ch
Fax: +41 22 312 5601  2 cours de Rive   CH-1204 Geneva, Switzerland