Re: [wg-c] straw vote -- question one results & call for votes on remaining questions

Werner Staub wrote:

> Amongst the 22 people who did not vote for option 1, there
> are many who can live with it as second-best.

I don't think any one of us is in a position to speak forother people on this
list. If they can live with Option 2
they will let us know themselves.

> The reason is that starting
> with few gTLDs does not exclude adding more gTLDs later.

Some of us believe that it most certainly does.
A preannouncement must be made otherwise a cartel
is created with inherent tendencies to stop adding new
competitors. We have seen direct evidence for this:
note that all of the ccTLD representatives on this panel,
most notably the one that is commercially marketed,
are arguing that we need none.
Some of us also believe that adding only two or three new
gTLDs is worse in many ways than adding none.

However, I agree that it is possible that people's votes were
incfuenced by the phrasing of the questions. I see that your own version of
the questions below shows an element of confusion as to what
was proposed in Option 2. Option 2 did NOT propose to
"launch many new gTLDs at once, " if "many" means "greater
than 5." Option 2 proposed to ANNOUNCE a goal in advance,
and then proceed to add them at a measured pace.

I personally suspect that many others did not understand this
and either supported Option 2 or didn't oppose it strongly.
But again, we cannot make any significant decisions
based on these speculations.

The simple fact is that there is no consensus on Q1 and we
need to think about reformulations and compromise proposals
that we can all live with.