Re: [wg-c] Eureka?

its 5.2 million customers elsewhere, you have:
        1. suggested I become familiar with the superroot.
        2. compared the Internet to a big Matzoh Ball
        3. said that NSI's statement was a metaphor without explaining what
for.

        You point out, correctly, that the Internet is a shared user network.
You go on to say that "It's merely proving coordination services that everyone
is collectively free to use, or not."  I assume you are referring to ICANN,
which has publicly stated that it is dependent for its success on consensus of
the Internet community. If your position is that NSI can take its customers
elsewhere, continue to register in .com,.org and .net and operate independently
of ICANN, please enlighten us on how this will work.

        re: the shared registry.
        Your opinion that things went quickly and successfully is not shared by
anyone that I know of, other than persons paid by NSI. My reference to "yellow
pages" was to the "Dot-Com Directory" - so clearly an abuse of NSI's monopoly
position that NSI withdrew the original proposal under pressure from the US
Dept of Justice and Dept of Commerce.

        re: ICANN
        Reasonable people can differ on a few aspects of ICANN's performance to
date, but I don't see any basis for your assault on the "Bad ICANN".
        NSI, in its S-1 Registration Statement in 1997, showed a clear
understanding of the company's future in relation to administration of the
Internet:
"The lack of an appropriate organization or entity to govern the authorization
for the registration of domain names could have a material adverse effect on
the Company's business, financial condition and results of operations.
 There is a risk that a failure to achieve consensus among the various groups
which are now informally administering the Internet could result in the
disruption of Internet operations, the inability of any user to communicate
with another user or otherwise utilize the Internet or the delay of
infrastructure improvements necessary to the maintenance and expansion of the
Internet."
        How can NSI take its 5.2 million customers elsewhere consistent
with its
recognition that there must be the consensus referred to above?
        David Maher