Re[2]: [wg-c] Eureka?

Tuesday, August 10, 1999, 3:11:38 PM, Ken Stubbs <kstubbs@dninet.net> wrote:

> what appears to be evolving in these  discussions is two distinct schools of
> thought

> school # 1 = it's mine

> school #2 = its ours

> let us try to get beyond this mine & ours and let me propose a different
> thread here...

> for discussion purposes please try to  view a "gtld" as a public trust
> vested in an organization or entity for a specific period of time rather
> than property owned by anyone . now then you could hypothetically develop
> guidelines for administration of that "trust" and placement of this " trust"
> in the hands of whomever had the ability to administer that "trust" the most
> efficiently and effectively for the benefit of the public.

The view you are asking us to take is an example of the fundamental
difference in how we view things.  I do not accept that your view is
correct.

> naturally you could develop methodologies for evaluating the administration
> of this trust and  a periodic process could be put  into place to insure
> that the "trust" was always placed in the most efficient and effective care
> (i.e. periodic review and re-bidding)

> in effect... no one individual or entity owns it

> the ability to administer a "gtld trust" would be a function of the
> efficient use of capital and resources by the successful  management entity
> 'bidder " . it then becomes a matter of whom or what entity can operate the
> most efficiently and cost effectively. if that entity is privately owned  &
> for-profit or not-for profit what would it matter in the long run.

> we have mutual savings banks, publicly held financial institutions, we have
> examples of this
> duality in many sectors today.

And we also have privately owned financial institutions, an example of
how a marking can and should be diverse, and how the entire market
benefits from the diversity in business models, and why restricting
this market to one model, and one model only, is a Bad Thing.

--
William X. Walsh
General Manager, DSo Internet Services

(IDNO MEMBER)
Support the Cyberspace Association, the
constituency of Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org