Re: [wg-c] Eureka?

what appears to be evolving in these  discussions is two distinct schools of
thought

school # 1 = it's mine

school #2 = its ours

let us try to get beyond this mine & ours and let me propose a different
thread here...

for discussion purposes please try to  view a "gtld" as a public trust
vested in an organization or entity for a specific period of time rather
than property owned by anyone . now then you could hypothetically develop
guidelines for administration of that "trust" and placement of this " trust"
in the hands of whomever had the ability to administer that "trust" the most
efficiently and effectively for the benefit of the public.

naturally you could develop methodologies for evaluating the administration
of this trust and  a periodic process could be put  into place to insure
that the "trust" was always placed in the most efficient and effective care
(i.e. periodic review and re-bidding)

in effect... no one individual or entity owns it

the ability to administer a "gtld trust" would be a function of the
efficient use of capital and resources by the successful  management entity
'bidder " . it then becomes a matter of whom or what entity can operate the
most efficiently and cost effectively. if that entity is privately owned  &
for-profit or not-for profit what would it matter in the long run.

we have mutual savings banks, publicly held financial institutions, we have
examples of this
duality in many sectors today.

????

ken stubbs