Re: [wg-c] There is no "consensus"

> In that case, Chris, IMO you haven't really implemented such a
> system.  In other words, if your end user interface is essentially
> the same as the registrar interface, then you haven't really
> implemented a split between registrar and registry, and you haven't
> really done the job you claim you have.  Of course, there is also no
> public evidence that your system actually does anything at all --
> it's not available for us to examine.  So this is kind of moot.  Have
> you done any testing? Do you have any "testbed registrars" or
> anything like that?

I love it. I refute your argument, so you just call me a liar. You never
cease to be predictable. Yes, IOD has done extensive testing. And
you're right, you've never seen our system. On the other hand, I've
never seen NSI's system - what's your point?

There is a split between registry and registrar functions in that the
registry accepts completed records, sanity checks them, and then
enters them into the zone. Yes, this is very simple.

The registrar accepts templates from the user (either email or
filled-out web forms), sanity checks them, runs the DNS queries
to ensure the zone is delegated and queues up the request for
a human to take a look at. Or it can be immediately accepted,
if you feel brave. Once accepted, it generates a billing record
into the billing database (separate system) and submits the record
as above.

Whether the registrar system runs on the same system as the
registry or on another one is not an issue. Whether it's run by
the same company or another is not an issue.

If you want customer support, I suspect you have to hire
people to man phones. Is that the customer support you're
talking about?

> Nominet, as I described previously, actually does both end user and
> registrar level registrations.  It has two quite distinct
> interfaces.  The registrar interface involves authenticated access
> to their "automaton", a special credit system/billing system, and
> other features.  The user level interface is very different, and,
> though I don't know for sure, I get the impression that it is rather
> unfriendly and unforgiving, because Nominet actively discourages it.

I have no idea. I've never seen their system, either.

But IOD's works, and I'm ready to see it in the roots and prove it
to you. Nice thing for you - if I'm wrong, I'm out of business before
I even start. What's it to you?

Christopher