Re: [wg-c] There is no "consensus"

At 17:01 19/07/99 -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:

>Under the proprietary model, if I register "milton.web" the registry will
most
>likely be the same corporation as the registrar.

I don't think so. The non-shared registry is history. Having ICANN force
NSi to open its registry sets a precedent that cannot be changed now.

>If I want to change registries, I must select another name in both cases.
>The portability situation is the same in both situations. Competition for the
>right to *enter the registration in the database* is just not that
significant,
>in my opinion, although it has some minor benefits.

Quite an statement. ALL patent registry offices work this way. There is a
central (usually government department) registry that is non profit, and
ALL registrar agents (TM agents) are for-profit companies that compete on
price and service. This is the one model that works in the real world.

By having a low-price/good-service-to-registrars registry, registrars have
quite a lot of flexibility on the price they can charge to a final
customer, as well as choosing what level of service they want to give. The
final price of a domain (for a user) will be fixed by market conditions.
The price will include a fixed component (cost of the registry) and a
variable component added by the registrar, charging for his services.

Javier