RE: [wg-c] There is no "consensus"

Portability is not an assured condition given the way in which various
participants are positioning their interests.

If the registry/registrar is permitted to claim or establish copyright over
domain names then ownership by the registrant will be pre-empted. Under
these conditions the registrant would not be able to change registry without
breach of copyright or perhaps 'buying' his domain name from the registry,
which is a position that I'm sure the majority of the community would wish
to avoid.

Regards

John C Lewis
Manager - International Organisations Europe
BT delegate ETNO Executive Board
BT delegate EURODATA Foundation Board
Tel: +44 (0) 1442 295258 Mob: +44 (0) 802 218271