Re: [wg-c] There is no "consensus"

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 05:01:45PM -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:

>If I want to change registries, I must select another name in both cases.
[proprietary and shared]
>The portability situation is the same in both situations. Competition for the
>right to *enter the registration in the database* is just not that significant,
>in my opinion, although it has some minor benefits.

It is the registry component that is insignificant, not the registrar
component.  Just running the registry database (which is what a
registry does, by definition) is a trivial operation, once it is set
up.  In a well-run registry, such as Nominet, the actual cost per
registration is miniscule -- on the order of maybe $3/year.  With
NSI's economies of scale, and a suitable mechanized registrar
interface to the datase, the cost per registration should be very low
-- probably less than a dollar per year.  Most of the cost in the
total picture is customer support, not running the database.

And legal bills, perhaps.