Re: [wg-c] There is no "consensus"

On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 01:37:26PM -0700, Christopher Ambler wrote:
> > It may seem obvious to you, but it isn't true.  The function of
> > accepting registrations from registrars is quite distinct from the
> > function of accepting registrations from end users.  The level of
> > customer support required is orders of magnituded different, as
> > well.
>
> As someone who has actually written such a system, the above statement
> is based on quite a few assumptions, and is not necessarily true. In the
> case of Image Online Design, it is most certainly not true.

In that case, Chris, IMO you haven't really implemented such a
system.  In other words, if your end user interface is essentially
the same as the registrar interface, then you haven't really
implemented a split between registrar and registry, and you haven't
really done the job you claim you have.  Of course, there is also no
public evidence that your system actually does anything at all --
it's not available for us to examine.  So this is kind of moot.  Have
you done any testing? Do you have any "testbed registrars" or
anything like that?

Nominet, as I described previously, actually does both end user and
registrar level registrations.  It has two quite distinct
interfaces.  The registrar interface involves authenticated access
to their "automaton", a special credit system/billing system, and
other features.  The user level interface is very different, and,
though I don't know for sure, I get the impression that it is rather
unfriendly and unforgiving, because Nominet actively discourages it.