[registrars]

Re: [registrars] Interesting quote from Melbourne IT in todays papers in Australia.

> > It is  better for the registrars to control the data,
> > and have the registry point to the appropriate
> > registrar as is the case with the thin registry
> > Then,  the registrar can make sure the
> > right thing happens, and can additionally take steps
> > to control abuse.
>
> If registrars can take steps to control abuse, why can't the registry?

Because I'm not interested in having to negotiate
with other registrars and the registry to have
the data controlled as we see fit. I would just rather
take care of the problem to our liking. Same reason many
people want a single family home and 10 acres of property
to buffer from their neighbors.

> You know how unrealistic it is to force 100+ registrars to comply in a uniform way.

Not really as concerned with how you control the
data of your customers. I'm concerned with our customers.

> If you manage to get it right centralized at the registry level, it's more realistic.
> Just the question how you can "control" the registry.
>
> > An argument can be made that this
> > could be done at the registry level, but I don't agree
> > that it would give us the proper comfort level.
>
> Do you think all Registries must be as "evil" as "the" big one?

I don't think that the "big one" is evil. I never said
that. (But you said that!)

> > The central whois is a requirement of the IP community
> > to make their jobs easier, and registrars who want
> > to have smoother registrar transfers. The spammers
> > and telemarketers have also "voted" for it. I can tell
> > you from personal experience that we don't like
> > receiving phone calls all day long from people
> > who have our phone number from when it appeared
> > in the NSI database pre-competition.
>
> You will have a uniform whois sooner or later, be it at the registry
> or registrars level.
>

> No, I just wanted to state that other registries also consider creating
> value-added services ontop of their registry business using our customers
> information!

There is currently competition in the long distance
business in this country. When you are a customer of AT&T
they retain your customer information in their database.
When you switch to Sprint they put the information in
their database. (And of course AT&T still has that
information.) Is their a central database of LD phone
customers?. As you know there is plenty of
competion in LD services.

I simply am not a fan, for multiple
reasons, of the thick registry model. As it stands right
now the Verisign GRS whois is only updated 1 time per
day. A registrars whois can be updated in real time if they
desire to have a system like that. And a registrar
doesn't have to convince or negotiate with anyone
to make that happen, just like someone who owns their
own home (as opposed to an apartment or condo) doesn't need
to convince the building owner or condo association to make changes
to the structure of the building. My point is simply that
I would rather have possesion and ownership rather than
just ownership. And a single family home with 10 acres.

By the way, why is the registrar for "schlund.com"
still the company that is owned by the "big" one?

Domain Name: SCHLUND.COM
Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Referral URL: www.networksolutions.com
Name Server: NS.SCHLUND.DE
Name Server: NS2.SCHLUND.DE
Updated Date: 28-sep-2000

(I understand that the domain doesn't expire
until October but wouldn't Schlund rather have control?)

Regards, Larry Erlich

http://www.DomainRegistry.com