[registrars]

Re: [registrars] Interesting quote from Melbourne IT in todays papers in Australia.

Eric Schaetzlein wrote:

> Hi Larry,
>
> I don't think the thick registry is the problem. It makes perfectly
> sense to store that information in a central place, that's what a registry
> is good for.
>
> On the other hand it should be defined by contract who "owns" the customer,
> and that's clearly the registrar.

Eric,

There is a saying in this country:

"Possession is 9/10 of the law"

That's the way I see it in this case.

It is  better for the registrars to control the data,
and have the registry point to the appropriate
registrar as is the case with the thin registry
Then,  the registrar can make sure the
right thing happens, and can additionally take steps
to control abuse. An argument can be made that this
could be done at the registry level, but I don't agree
that it would give us the proper comfort level.

The central whois is a requirement of the IP community
to make their jobs easier, and registrars who want
to have smoother registrar transfers. The spammers
and telemarketers have also "voted" for it. I can tell
you from personal experience that we don't like
receiving phone calls all day long from people
who have our phone number from when it appeared
in the NSI database pre-competition.

> I heard that .pro will also introduce a directory lookup service
> ("give me all lawyers in Germany")

Well, I know you are just giving an example of
a usage but I don't think that should be the
function of the whois. And if we take that example
who does it serve? Who needs a list of all
the lawyers in Germany? A telemarketer or a spammer
most likely.

Regards, Larry Erlich

http://www.DomainRegistry.com