[registrars]

Re: [registrars] Interesting quote from Melbourne IT in todays papers in Australia.

On 2001/05/17, Larry Erlich wrote:
> Eric Schaetzlein wrote:
> >
> > Hi Larry,
> >
> > I don't think the thick registry is the problem. It makes perfectly
> > sense to store that information in a central place, that's what a registry
> > is good for.
> >
> > On the other hand it should be defined by contract who "owns" the customer,
> > and that's clearly the registrar.
>
> Eric,
>
> There is a saying in this country:
>
> "Possession is 9/10 of the law"

Yes, and someone said "control is better than trust" ;-)

> That's the way I see it in this case.
>
> It is  better for the registrars to control the data,
> and have the registry point to the appropriate
> registrar as is the case with the thin registry
> Then,  the registrar can make sure the
> right thing happens, and can additionally take steps
> to control abuse.

If registrars can take steps to control abuse, why can't the registry?
You know how unrealistic it is to force 100+ registrars to comply in a uniform way.
If you manage to get it right centralized at the registry level, it's more realistic.
Just the question how you can "control" the registry.

> An argument can be made that this
> could be done at the registry level, but I don't agree
> that it would give us the proper comfort level.

Do you think all Registries must be as "evil" as "the" big one?

> The central whois is a requirement of the IP community
> to make their jobs easier, and registrars who want
> to have smoother registrar transfers. The spammers
> and telemarketers have also "voted" for it. I can tell
> you from personal experience that we don't like
> receiving phone calls all day long from people
> who have our phone number from when it appeared
> in the NSI database pre-competition.

You will have a uniform whois sooner or later, be it at the registry
or registrars level.

I don't think spamming and telemarketing depends on the thick/thin model.
What we were concerned first was Melbourne IT's (the registries) philosophy
of what they can do with the data, and that of course depends of the thick/thin model.

> > I heard that .pro will also introduce a directory lookup service
> > ("give me all lawyers in Germany")
>
> Well, I know you are just giving an example of
> a usage but I don't think that should be the
> function of the whois.

No, I just wanted to state that other registries also consider creating
value-added services ontop of their registry business using our customers
information!

> And if we take that example
> who does it serve? Who needs a list of all
> the lawyers in Germany? A telemarketer or a spammer
> most likely.

Well - I could use a list of Lawyers located in Karlsruhe, Germany. ;-)

> Regards, Larry Erlich

Best regards
Eric

> http://www.DomainRegistry.com
>

> > -Eric

> > > This is what you get with a thick registry.
> > >
> > > We are not registrars, just order takers.
> > > The gatekeeper is Neulevel. If the quote in the article is correct,
> > > Neulevel basically believes they own the customer.
> > >
> > > I am sure that as part of the registry-registrar agreement,
> > > we will have to indemnify  Neulevel against any customer lawsuits,
> > > and since they will be retaining the data, they will most certainly
> > > get sued at some point.
> > >
> > > The registrar ("order taker") will have to indemnify them
> > > for all costs in defending any lawsuits (in addition to the
> > > registrar's own costs in defending the same suit.)
> > > With a thin registry (as with NSI) we still have to indemnify,
> > > but there is less of a chance of a lawsuit since they don't retain
> > > any data or have any relationship with the
> > > customer registering the name.
> > >
> > > But I'm not an attorney. Michael(s), your opinion?
> > >
> > > Larry Erlich
> > >
> > > http://www.DomainRegistry.com

> > > --
> > > Larry Erlich - DomainRegistry.com, Inc.
> > > 215-244-6700 - FAX:215-244-6605 - Reply: erlich@DomainRegistry.com
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Eric
> >
> > --
> > Eric Schaetzlein                Schlund + Partner AG    Tel:  +49 721 91374 50
> > Leiter Domain Services          Erbprinzenstr. 4-12     Fax:  +49 721 91374 20
> >                                 D-76133 Karlsruhe       Mail:  eric@schlund.de

> Larry Erlich - DomainRegistry.com, Inc.
> 215-244-6700 - FAX:215-244-6605 - Reply: erlich@DomainRegistry.com

Mit freundlichen Gruessen