[ga] Re: List Monitors

Patrick and all assembly members,

Patrick Corliss wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 01:53:31 -0800, Jeff Williams wrote:
>
> > > No they do not.  The rules are at
> > > http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/2000.GA-ga-rules.html
> >
> >  I beg to differ.  At the URL reference above the following
> > applies to list monitors:
> > "Certain persons appointed by the GA Chair (the list monitors) have the
> >  taskof monitoring the list for posts that violate these rules. These are
> > selected by the GA Chair for a given period of time, but may be removed
> > from the role by the GA Chair or at their own request at any time.
>
> > A list monitor may also be removed by a majority vote of the General
> > Assembly.  Normally the appointment would be for 1 year."
> >
> > As you can plainly see, it says "List monitors" (Plural), not monitor
> > (Singular).  I am of course assuming three as that has been the practice
> > thus far...
>
> Hi Jeff
>
> Whilst you will never admit when you are wrong, you are in this case.

  Oh?  Well your are entitled to you opinion as is everyone else.  None
the less the wording is as it is.  As you know, or if you remember, the
current list rules are and remain illegitimate anyway, as the vote taken
for their implementation was using Joops "Voting Booth" and we know
that at least two GA members admittedly voted more than once.  Ergo
this argument and comment is moot at best.  Hence the remainder of
you rather long explanation, a bit of overkill, is not all that useful or
even appropriate.

  The fact that the new Chair can appoint monitors (Plural) is really
all that that matters or is relevant with respect to the context, not the
fact's or history of these illegitimate rules.  I agree that the Chair
should be able to make a selection of monitors (Plural) none the less
for many obvious reasons that I don't feel is necessary to elaborate
upon.  But just one is not enough and the GA members should have
a vote of approval of any monitors (Plural) before they are seated,
so to speak.

  And again, "Without good process you cannot have good product".

> When Roberto Gaetano was Chair, there was only one list monitor viz the
> Alternate Chair, Harald Tveit Alvestrand.  The next Chair was Danny Younger
> (with me as Alternate Chair).
>
> I suggested to Danny that it would be good to appoint three list monitors to
> ensure representation and guard against complaints.  Some some reason, unknown
> to me, he appointed five.  They were Alexander Svensson, Kristy McKee, Bruce
> James and myself with Harald Tveit Alvestrand in a continuing capacity.
>
> Eventually, Bruce and Harald resigned and my position as list monitor was
> terminated by Danny.  That left Alexander and Kristy to perform the role
> together.  Later, when a conflict arose, they could not continue.
>
> So under Roberto there was one list monitor.  Under Danny there were
> officially five.  During Danny's reign the number of de facto list monitors
> ranged from zero to five.
>
> Whilst the wording of the rule says "certain persons appointed by the GA
> Chair (the list monitors) have the task of monitoring the list for posts that
> violate these rules", I see no cause for reading this too pedantically.
>
> Firstly, I understand it was written by a person whose native language was
> not English.  All you need to do is insert a hyphen to read "person/s".
>
>  Secondly, when one list monitor resigns another gets appointed.  Thus the
> Chair has appointed more than one person.  If the word was in the sigular, a
> strict interpretation would argue that, since the Chair had already appointed
> ONE person, they couldn't appoint another.  That's nonsense as you know.
>
> As is wasting time arguing about procedural issues on this mailing list.
>
> Thomas is 100% right to appoint one list monitor viz Alexander.  I would do
> the same in his position except I would have chosen somebody other than
> the Alt Chair.  That's only because of the amount of work involved.
>
> Best regards
> Patrick Corliss

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827