Re: [ga] Thank you.

Dave and all assembly members,

DPF wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002 17:15:54 -0800, Jeff Williams
> <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >Thomas Roessler wrote:
> >
> - snip -

> >> We'll try to make this mailing list a better place for fruitful
> >> discussions on DNSO issues - under the assumption that the NC
> >> chooses to follow the GA's wishes, of course. ;-)
> >
> >  I hope by stating the GA wishes, you mean ALL of the members
> >of the GA here?  Please advise.
>
> You do not seem to understand the context of what Thomas said.  He is
> referring to the fact he is not GA Chair unless the NC endorses the
> result of the GA Chair election.

  Yes I understood perfectly the context of Thomas's comments/statement.
I was not referring to the endorsement of the NC i n any way.  I was
directly referring to the GA members, ALL of them.  I was assuming
that the NC would indeed endorse his election.  They should of course.

> On a more theoretical point it is impossible for the NC to follow the
> wishes of all members of the GA as they are of course not the same.

  I was no asking or assuming that the NC could indeed do as you suggest.

In fact, I did not mention the NC in any context.  I was referring to
the Chair (Thomas).  So therefore as chair of the GA he can and must
be in touch with the wishes of the GA members and their wishes
as they express them, or already have expressed them, at least
those GA members that are participating actively.  BTW, most
if not all of the NC are also GA members.  Many obviously do not
or have not recently participated or are otherwise active participants.

> >> Some things we'll do, or try to do:
> >>
> >>  - Alexander will take over list monitoring.  For the time being,
> >>    he'll be the only list monitor.
> >
> >  I believe the current rules require three monitors, do they not?
>
> No they do not.  The rules are at
> http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/2000.GA-ga-rules.html

  I beg to differ.  At the URL reference above the following
applies to list monitors:
"Certain persons appointed by the GA Chair (the list monitors) have the
task
of monitoring the list for posts that violate these rules.
These are selected by the GA Chair for a given period of time, but may be

removed from the role by the GA Chair or at their own request at any
time.
A list monitor may also be removed by a majority vote of the General
Assembly.
Normally the appointment would be for 1 year."

  As you can plainly see, it says "List monitors" (Plural), not monitor
(Singular).
I am of course assuming three as that has been the practice thus far...

> DPF
> --
> david@farrar.com
> ICQ 29964527

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827