Re: [ga] Proposed GA Working Group on Domain Name Registration Systems

William X Walsh wrote:
<snip>

> Consensus is pretty clear on this issue.
>
> A work group should only be created when there is a need to develop a
> consensus, in this case, the consensus is already plain to see.

I think it is pretty clear that there is a general consensus that the
Verisign WLS proposal is "a bad thing (TM)" (i.e. not even Chuck has
voted in favour of it.)  However, there is a significant difference
between that and any consensus on what system(s) should be put into
place for domain deletion and competitive re-registration.

There have been some good statements of both the current position and of
potential ways to remedy both the overloading problem Verisign claim and
the uncertainty and suspicion generated by the lack of timely
deletions.  I do not have enough experience of this community to know
whether a focused working group is a better way to generate consensus
than a general discussion, or how any such group would (should) be
constituted and organised.  This inexperience is also why I did not vote
in the GA Chair election, having insufficient knowledge of the
participants.

Perhaps, once announced, the newly elected Chair could organise a formal
poll on formation of a working party and which members of the GA would
be willing to participate?  The issue of deletions certainly appears to
be the current main focus of the list.

--
Matthew Pemble
Eur Ing CEng MIEE MBCS MICAF AIMgt