[ga] NOTICE/GA-WG-Delete/RFC

Please take notice that certain members of the GA of the DNSO of ICANN
are forming a working group
to attempt to reach some consensus on the matters of policy regarding
Domain Name deletions.

The Working Group will be open to all GA members that chose to
participate.  It will follow established precedence and formally adopted
rules regarding Working Groups.

The address of the working group will be ++++++ for the immediate
future.

Concurrent with this notice we request that a Formal Working Group be
established for this purpose and
all work done within our Working Group will cede to that of the more
formally authorized Working Group,
should there be one established.

The group will work in basically two phases which will operate
concurrently but dependent upon each other.
Due to the suggestion and well reasoned position of my esteemed
colleague Mr. William Walsh we will first of
all form questions to the VRSN Registry.  It would appear that there
will be cooperation between the group and said registry.
Secondly we will endeavor to adopt a set of principals that transcend
technical applications and protocols with public policy applications and
protocols.

There may well be departure from our still formative best practices
within this working group as this is a first time experience for the GA
which we will acknowledge as being somewhat experimental.
___________________

Questions:

1.    Who do we send it to?
2.    What links and/or other references should be attached?
3.    Should we attempt for signatories or should I just send it off
with
the understanding that I shall step aside from any further management
role?
4.    I would prefer to remain this vague on exact parameters as I
believe that
will be the first job of the group and I do not believe it should be
dictated.

This is a working paper, I have no vested interest in its' evolution so
feel free to totally
trash it or support it. My feelings will not be hurt.

A particular Secretary General in a particular SouthEast Asian country
looked at me and asked:
"do you really think there is any chance of running a governance body by
using bottoms-up, open and
transparent, consensus policies?"
My response was: "I guess we will only find out if we try"
His response: "We will be quite interested and watching"
My response: "I was afraid of that"

Well here we go - to my knowledge this is the first formed bottoms-up
open and transparent, GA WG attempt at consensus on an outside issue.

Best to all of you.
Eric