Re: [ga] NOTICE/GA-WG-Delete/RFC - Attn. DNSO Secretariat and NC

Eric and all assembly members,

  Has the NC been notified of what you are trying to start up here
Eric?  Philip, please advise.  Have you made a request to the NC
and the DNSO Secretariat Eric?  Secretariat, Please advise...
If not Eric, I cannot support this effort as being one that is
in the best interest or supported by the DNSO GA members...

Eric Dierker wrote:

> Please take notice that certain members of the GA of the DNSO of ICANN
> are forming a working group
> to attempt to reach some consensus on the matters of policy regarding
> Domain Name deletions.
>
> The Working Group will be open to all GA members that chose to
> participate.  It will follow established precedence and formally adopted
> rules regarding Working Groups.
>
> The address of the working group will be ++++++ for the immediate
> future.
>
> Concurrent with this notice we request that a Formal Working Group be
> established for this purpose and
> all work done within our Working Group will cede to that of the more
> formally authorized Working Group,
> should there be one established.
>
> The group will work in basically two phases which will operate
> concurrently but dependent upon each other.
> Due to the suggestion and well reasoned position of my esteemed
> colleague Mr. William Walsh we will first of
> all form questions to the VRSN Registry.  It would appear that there
> will be cooperation between the group and said registry.
> Secondly we will endeavor to adopt a set of principals that transcend
> technical applications and protocols with public policy applications and
> protocols.
>
> There may well be departure from our still formative best practices
> within this working group as this is a first time experience for the GA
> which we will acknowledge as being somewhat experimental.
> ___________________
>
> Questions:
>
> 1.    Who do we send it to?
> 2.    What links and/or other references should be attached?
> 3.    Should we attempt for signatories or should I just send it off
> with
> the understanding that I shall step aside from any further management
> role?
> 4.    I would prefer to remain this vague on exact parameters as I
> believe that
> will be the first job of the group and I do not believe it should be
> dictated.
>
> This is a working paper, I have no vested interest in its' evolution so
> feel free to totally
> trash it or support it. My feelings will not be hurt.
>
> A particular Secretary General in a particular SouthEast Asian country
> looked at me and asked:
> "do you really think there is any chance of running a governance body by
> using bottoms-up, open and
> transparent, consensus policies?"
> My response was: "I guess we will only find out if we try"
> His response: "We will be quite interested and watching"
> My response: "I was afraid of that"
>
> Well here we go - to my knowledge this is the first formed bottoms-up
> open and transparent, GA WG attempt at consensus on an outside issue.
>
> Best to all of you.
> Eric

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827