RE: Re[2]: [ga] Re: VeriSign Proposal a Done Deal??

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, at 20:03 [=GMT-0500], Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> Joop,
>
> This service would do nothing with your domain name unless you elected
> to release it.  A domain name is not owned; it never has been.  You
> register it for a specified period of time and you have the right to
> renew it.  If you don't it becomes available for others.  To use your
> logic, your approval would be needed for a re-registration of the name
> you formerly registered but deleted.

This very much sounds like how the telco's worked (at least in my country,
but I guess elsewhere too): you could not buy a phone and own it, no you
leased it from them. Also it was illegal to use any other equipment. Both
the service and the way you could use it, were determined by the seller.
Why? Monopoly, mitigated recently, as far as the DNS is concerned, by
turning it into a cartel.

We will break the cartel. Believe it or not.

--
Marc@Schneiders.ORG

+31 30 699 28 25
+31 6 55 81 82 16 (mobile)