Re: [ga] Registrar domain deletion policies

On 14:05 21/12/01 -0800, William X Walsh said:

>I'd like to get some feedback here.
>
>A registrar is currently testing a service where rather than outright
>deleting domain names that are expiring without payment, they are
>creating a premium service where, for a monthly fee, you can get
>access to have these names transferred to you, without any interaction
>or approval from the prior registrant, and in a way that totally
>bypasses the normal deletion/drop process.

This looks like a very slippery slope on which the owner a desirable domain
can easily lose his rights, merely because he was not alert enough to pay
his fees (taxes) on time.

>What would you feedback be on the creation of such a service.  It in
>effect creates a monopoly, where domains registered at a registrar
>must be reregistered with that registrar (though they can, after 60
>days, be transferred to another registrar).

I agree. If registrants were properly represented this sort
of  "experiment"  would quickly be stopped.

--Joop