[ga] Registrar domain deletion policies

I'd like to get some feedback here.

A registrar is currently testing a service where rather than outright
deleting domain names that are expiring without payment, they are
creating a premium service where, for a monthly fee, you can get
access to have these names transferred to you, without any interaction
or approval from the prior registrant, and in a way that totally
bypasses the normal deletion/drop process.

What would you feedback be on the creation of such a service.  It in
effect creates a monopoly, where domains registered at a registrar
must be reregistered with that registrar (though they can, after 60
days, be transferred to another registrar).

I'm very much opposed to this, on the grounds that I think the
registrant has rights which are being trampled by this, including an
assumption that their registrar will follow normally accepted
processes and not actually solicit someone to purchase their domain
name in such a direct fashion and outside the normal process.

I'd like your feedback though, and I'll forward it on to them, but I
also know they are on this list and reading it as well.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>