[ga-rules]

Re: [ga-rules] Path of Practical Utility

Chris McElroy aka NameCritic

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick Corliss" <patrick@quad.net.au>
To: "William X. Walsh" <william@userfriendly.com>
Cc: "[ga-rules]" <ga-rules@dnso.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2001 11:22 PM
Subject: Re: [ga-rules] Path of Practical Utility

> Dear William
>
> > In your opinion. There are many who disagree, and see instead that the
> > sublists will have, and in fact have had, negative results.
>
> There are many more people subscribed to the sublists.

And rightfully so. makes it easier to stay on topic and it allows for more
posts and responses in all making things move a bit faster.

> > It's kinda funny, when there are lists that you don't approve of
> > added, you go on this "there are too many" argument.
>
> The [ga] lists are as follows:
>     ga
>     ga-abuse
>     ga-digest
>     ga-full
>     ga-icann
>     ga-org
>     ga-review
>     ga-roots
>     ga-rules
>     ga-sys
>     ga-udrp
> Also "announce" and "voters".
>
> How many is too many?  Most people would be happy with three.  Even five.
> But when it goes over that people need to count them.  As a test, look at
my
> list for one minute then get a piece of paper and list the names.  See if
> you can remember all thirteen !!

I can but that isn't the point. I only need to remember the ones I wish to
subscribe to. Also and take this with the humor intended . . .

Should we have the @Large and the IETF do a Study on the Rollout of new
Sublists to see if it will threaten the stability of the Internet? Should we
roll out say 7 Sublists as a testbed for future sublists? Should there be a
sunrise period for each sublist in which the IP interests get to post to the
new sublists first? Might I suggest

ga-biz
ga-info
ga-coop
ga-union
ga-museum
ga-pro
ga-aero
ga-web (Or should we wait on that one?)

Also there is the issue of who should run each sublist. I think maybe we
could charge a huge application fee for each person wishing to be a list
monitor then give those jobs to 7 of our friends without refunding any money
to the others. If we announce a Public Response period then we can claim it
was all done after seeking a bottom up consensus. I think 3 hours of public
comment, say on a Holiday would be plenty.

> > > The special purpose lists are here now.  People are using them.  We
need
> > > make them work or scrap the idea.  Eliminating a few would help.
> >
> > > That's my view.  What do you think?

Yeah that's true, but I think we can duplicate those sublists that are being
used but not by the mainstream GA Members. Those sublists not in the
mainstream being duplicated won't cause any confusion or threaten the
stability of the Main GA.

> > Keep them for all I care.  But don't try and force people to use them,
> > or to force issues off the main list that GA participants decide to
> > raise there, regardless of your little pet sub lists.

Patrick has Pet Sublists? Which ones? Has Patrick been forcing you to join
sublists you don't want to use? Shame on Patrick if so.

> This rhetoric is not addressing the issues but is a reference to me
> personally.
>
> As you would like it clarified, I advise that the list monitors current
> definition of "personal attacks, insult and slander" includes any
derogatory
> references to a person's characteristics and motivations.  That includes
> taunting and baiting.
>
> We all know it when we see it.  It school yard stuff.

Then I guess we also have to have ga-kids. Congress will probably require it
anyway.