Re: [ga] Dictionary words: was ICANN's Karl Auerbach responds to Joe Sims over .kids domain

Hello James,

Saturday, July 07, 2001, 7:29:24 AM, James Love wrote:
> object that any distinction would be made between a string like .coop,
> .museum or .union and a string like .biz, which is not a word, or any
> number of other possiblities, such as combinations of words, but it
> seems to me to be appropriate, because by making this distinction, you
> can recognize I believe the legitimate interests of society to have some
> say over how important social symbols are used (some dictionary words),
> without having an excuse to be a control freak or monopolitist in areas
> where there is no plausible claim to restrict access to the TLD space.

Why does "society" (meaning a small number of people who think they
know better what society "needs") have an interest in restricting use
of strings, and why is such an interest valid?

Open TLD use, first come first serve, is the only fair and equitable
policy.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>