Re: [ga] Fw: ICANN's Karl Auerbach responds to Joe Sims over .kidsdomain

WXW and all assembly members,

  We [INEGroup] do not agree with either of the below mentioned
directions.  We believe that the free market system will in the end
decide what TLD's regardless or TYPE ( Restricted or non-restricted)
will survive and/or thrive.  Any attempt at trying to manipulate the
Free Market system in this manner will eventually fail over the
long haul.

William X. Walsh wrote:

> Hello James,
>
> Saturday, July 07, 2001, 12:40:42 AM, James Love wrote:
> > monopolistic environment.  If ICANN has any role in terms of deciding
> > who is best to run a registry, it would be for dictionary words, where
> > IMO, at least some strings lend themselves to non-market allocations
> > (museum, coop, union), or should be reserved for trade associations,
> > professional organizations or industry groups with greater moral claims
>
> I don't agree.  I believe that the market should decide if the strings
> have any meaning, and that the meaning of the strings is up to each
> individual registrant.
>
> Under the .museum rules, what qualifies an organization as a museum?
>
> Does an associate who collects and displays archaic computers at his
> shop, in a section called the Machine Museum, qualify?  Probably not
> if you delegate it to some museum organization, but by what right is
> he excluded?
>
> words/strings are not like logos/seals, which are CREATED by an
> association to identify it's members.  They exist outside of that
> scope, and their meaning is subjective.
>
> Union doesn't have to mean an organized labor organization, either.
>
> There is no "moral claim" to these terms that exist outside the DNS,
> and they absolutely should not exist inside the DNS.
>
> It cannot be emphasized enough that the DNS is NOT a directory
> service.   If you want a directory, there are numerous ones out there,
> including Dmoz.org, and Yahoo.com.  There are specialized directories
> as well.  That is not the role of the DNS.
>
> ICANN should stay completely out of deciding any meanings or
> restrictions on TLDs at all.  The standards for creating a restricted
> TLD should be EXTREMELY high, with a major justification for why those
> entities should be segregated, and why the string is the appropriate
> on to segregate them with.
>
> Should .union exist? Certainly, but what a waste of the namespace to
> restrict it to labor organizations only.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>
> Userfriendly.com Domains
> The most advanced domain lookup tool on the net
> DNS Services from $1.65/mo

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827