Re: [ga] Fw: ICANN's Karl Auerbach responds to Joe Sims over .kidsdomain

The freedom to exclude is an important freedom.  If ICANN can open the
door, at a minimum, to non dictionary TLDs, and really expand the root,
eliminating the artificial scarcity rents, people would not complain
about someone running a restricted TLD, any more than they complain
about a restricted listserve, or a seal that is only available to people
who meet the requirements of the seal (such as truste).   What we don't
need is ICANN managing the content side of this, and we should leave
that up to the registries and registrars, in a competitive and non
monopolistic environment.  If ICANN has any role in terms of deciding
who is best to run a registry, it would be for dictionary words, where
IMO, at least some strings lend themselves to non-market allocations
(museum, coop, union), or should be reserved for trade associations,
professional organizations or industry groups with greater moral claims
on the sting that they are likely to be using (the film industry for
names like .movie, .film, .cinema, etc).   And even here, I would think
that ICANN should just award the TLD to a good candidate, and get out of
the way.

Jamie

--
James Love