Re[2]: [ga] Fw: ICANN's Karl Auerbach responds to Joe Sims over .kidsdomain

Hello James,

Saturday, July 07, 2001, 12:40:42 AM, James Love wrote:
> monopolistic environment.  If ICANN has any role in terms of deciding
> who is best to run a registry, it would be for dictionary words, where
> IMO, at least some strings lend themselves to non-market allocations
> (museum, coop, union), or should be reserved for trade associations,
> professional organizations or industry groups with greater moral claims

I don't agree.  I believe that the market should decide if the strings
have any meaning, and that the meaning of the strings is up to each
individual registrant.

Under the .museum rules, what qualifies an organization as a museum?

Does an associate who collects and displays archaic computers at his
shop, in a section called the Machine Museum, qualify?  Probably not
if you delegate it to some museum organization, but by what right is
he excluded?

words/strings are not like logos/seals, which are CREATED by an
association to identify it's members.  They exist outside of that
scope, and their meaning is subjective.

Union doesn't have to mean an organized labor organization, either.

There is no "moral claim" to these terms that exist outside the DNS,
and they absolutely should not exist inside the DNS.

It cannot be emphasized enough that the DNS is NOT a directory
service.   If you want a directory, there are numerous ones out there,
including Dmoz.org, and Yahoo.com.  There are specialized directories
as well.  That is not the role of the DNS.

ICANN should stay completely out of deciding any meanings or
restrictions on TLDs at all.  The standards for creating a restricted
TLD should be EXTREMELY high, with a major justification for why those
entities should be segregated, and why the string is the appropriate
on to segregate them with.

Should .union exist? Certainly, but what a waste of the namespace to
restrict it to labor organizations only.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>