Re: [wg-c] CONSENSUS CALLS -- THIS IS IT

At 08:55 PM 4/11/00 +0200, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>[snip]
>>PROPOSED ROUGH CONSENSUS ITEM NUMBER THREE
>>
>>         WG-C recommends that the Names Council charter a working group to
>> develop policy regarding internationalized domain names using non-ASCII
>> characters.
>
>No.
>
>As technical advisor to the IETF IDN working group, I feel that the
>technical issues with regard to internationalized domain names are not
>worked out to a degree where we can make sensible policy - we do not yet
>know the technical constraints such a policy has to conform to.
>
>NOTE: This is "No, not at this time", not "No, not ever".

	 James Seng, who's the co-chair of the IETF IDN WG, wrote to me that in
his view the WG is on track to finish its work by July.  If we suggest a
DNSO WG now, as a practical matter the NC won't act on it until the
Yokohama meeting (that is, July).  So I've been figuring that the technical
work *will* precede the policy work.

	That said, Harald knows infinitely more about this topic than I do.

Jon