Re: [wg-c] Proposed gTLDs: The IAHC Seven

At 01:36 PM 4/10/00 -0700, Mark C. Langston wrote:
>Sorry, perhaps my language wasn't clear either: My problem is not with
>the registrars.  I am opposed to ICANN entering into an agreement with
>any registry (not -rar), at least during the testbed, that contains
>any existing registrations in the TLD being courted.

ahh.  well, me too.

And CORE is not such an entity, though there ARE some others around.

>I.e., any registry participating in the testbed and hosting .FOO
>should be completely devoid of existing registrations in .FOO at the
>inception of the testbed period.  No pre-existing .FOO registrations
>will be grandfathered.

yes.  definitely concur.

>Finally, would someone please produce the documents in which IANA
>blessed these various registries with the right to start registering
>domains within these TLDs?  I've asked a few times here, I believe,
>and haven't yet seen them.

That's probably because they don't exist.

With respect to gTLD-MoU work (POC/CORE) there are explicit signals of IANA
support, such as its signature on the MoU.  However I believe that explicit
permission to add gTLDs to the root did not occur.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA