[wg-c] Proposed gTLDs: The IAHC Seven

At 12:41 AM 4/7/00 -0400, Cade,Marilyn S - LGA wrote:
>The so called IAHC 7 was reviewed by those who were active at that time in
>the process. Many of today's participants will not recognize IAHC because it

Marilyn,

There are always new participants.  Shall we always go back and revise
previous work, to make sure that the newest set of new people reviews and
approves all that prior work?  That, of course, is an excellent way to
ensure never making any progress.

In any event, Kent made a factual observation that that list is the only
one to have received wide-spread review.  As a statement of fact, the
statement is correct.

Or do you know of another list that has received anything close to an
equivalent review?  While the current community involvement is larger than
a couple of years ago, the review the name list received, back then, was
nonetheless quite extensive and did result in change.

Rather than observing the tautology that this community is constantly
changing, do you know of specific problems with that list of seven
names?  (Other than the frequently cited claim(s) about .web.)

Perhaps I have misunderstood your note, and you merely were concerned that
the current community needs to be familiar with the list.  In that case it
would have helped to include a URL to it.  Let's remedy that failing now:

The original list is cited in the Excecutive Summary of :

         <http://www.iahc.org/draft-iahc-recommend-00.html>

After extensive public review, there was clear consensus to change .store
to .shop.  Interestingly, the latter was deemed to have a more
"international" flavor, since the word is used in more than one language.

Hence, the resulting list of gTLDs is:

         .firm   for businesses, or firms
         .shop   for businesses offering goods to purchase
         .web    for entities emphasizing activities related
                  to the WWW
         .arts   for entities emphasizing cultural and
                 entertainment activities
         .rec    for entities emphasizing
                 recreation/entertainment activities
         .info   for entities providing information services
         .nom    for those wishing individual or personal
                 nomenclature

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA